Webinar: Elkhorn Drop Ramp Structure Lessons Learned
Author: Percy Penafiel
Publish Date: 28 May, 2020
Percy Penafiel, P.E. from Nevada Department of Transportation, will be going over the lessons and process of the Elkhorn Drop Ramp Structure. When it comes to complex geometry many engineers struggle while using grillage approach or using plate modeling. That was the issue that some engineers at Nevada DOT were facing, until Percy was able to use MIDAS Civil and MIDAS FEA to do both approaches easily. During the presentation Percy will demonstrate how he was able to model his flare bridge using the grillage approach in MIDAS Civil and cross checking it with our plate modeling meshing module FEA NX.
During the presentation Percy will demonstrate how he was able to model his flare bridge using the grillage approach in MIDAS Civil and cross checking it with our plate modeling meshing module FEA NX.
The content of this presentation:
- Project Description
- Design and Construction issues & solutions
- Planning & Design: Constraints and challenges with foundation, elevation, bridge geometry and non-standard practice
- Construction: Conflicts with jack, duct, rebar, and tendons, grouting with air leaks, & camber
- Step-by-step guidance on designing irregular geometry using grillage model
- Definition of the steps
- Definition of the grillage considering the live load distribution and flare
- Definition of the live load analysis
- AASHTO LRFD/LRFR code checking
Percy Penafiel, P.E. - Professional Engineer Specialist
Percy has over 20 of structural engineering experience. He specifically has expertise in structural design of highway bridges, pedestrian bridges and railroad bridge, drainage structures like culverts and channels. Structural supports for highway signs, luminaires, traffic signals and toll gantries. His experience also includes portal tunnels, soil nail walls, tie-back walls, MSE walls, retaining walls and soundwalls.
Would you like to see the steps mentioned in the presentation? Expand your knowledge and increase your productivity, check out the lesson on construction stage with e-Learning.
Do you want to try it yourself?
Don't you worry! We've got you a trial license.
Or get a license for $600/month!